We know it can be hard to find time for oneself but we are here to tell you to MAKE time. And right now you’re saying you have 100 things going on.
As women, we are so many things and play so many roles. Mothers, daughters, caretakers, career women, homemakers, college students, law students, entrepreneurs, wives, teachers, ushers, doctors, community organizers, nurturers. We have a lot going on, to say the least.
This is all the more reason to make time for ourselves.
We need to establish that self-care is NOT selfish. On the contrary, it is self-preservation and a way of honoring this vessel that God has given us. By caring for ourselves we deepen our relationship with God, are better able to show up for our children, spouses, friends, and family, and decrease the risk of burnout.
So this week we are bringing you 10 tips to honor your body!
1. Rest- 5 hours is not enough sleep. Yep, we’re talking to you! You're burning the candle at both ends when you do not adequately rest. Do what you need to do to properly rest. Maybe that’s asking your spouse to prepare the kids for school this week or turning down the extra overtime, or saying no to a social event. Get some rest and your body will thank you.
1 Corinthians 3: 16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
2. Move your body- This can look different for all of us but the most important thing is to get your body moving in some form. Whether you’re running marathons on the weekends or simply doing some loving stretches in the morning, your body will thank you. We hold so much tension in our bodies that it’s important to move to release and get the blood flowing. Some of our favorite ways are dancing, roller skating, basic stretches, swimming, hiking, bicycling, and morning walks.
3. Feed your soul- Just as it is important to feed your body, it’s important to feed your soul. Feeding your soul is all about getting into the Word. This can be in the form of a study bible or a devotional or a bible study. If we want to be armed with the Word of God and knowledge of the promises He has for us we must dive deep.
4. Feed your body- We know it sounds like common knowledge but so many of us aren’t doing our due diligence with feeding our bodies. We’re constantly doing so many things each day that it’s easy to forget breakfast or skip lunch. Your body needs fuel! Consider balancing the comfort foods that we crave with nutrient-dense foods that give you energy as well. Roasted veggies and fresh fruits are some of our favorites.
5. Find a Mentor- At whatever stage in your life you are at, find a mentor. This could be professionally, spiritually, or personally- even better if it’s all three! A mentor should be someone you can learn from, share with, and someone who pushes you to reach your goals.
6. Discover community- We are social creatures by nature and long for connection. It can be easy to slide into the isolation of our own schedule and world but be sure to break out of this periodically. Whether that be joining a life group at your church, a local women’s group, or starting a new dance class- it’s important to feel connected to a community.
7. Daily Prayer Practice- We should be in constant conversation and prayer with the Lord. Let’s break out of the habit of a prayer practice that is only about our wants and needs. Let us constantly have his praises on our lips. Incorporate prayer into your daily routine until it becomes second nature.
8. Develop a Writing Practice- Journaling regularly can be an incredible way to process thoughts and emotions that we typically do not have time to unload. Write about your day, your goals, your frustrations, affirmations, whatever you feel! If you’re unsure what to write about, there are also many daily journaling prompt books available.
9. Treat Yourself- It can feel so liberating and much need to treat oneself. Especially if you’re someone who is constantly doing and providing for others. So go ahead and book that spa day, take yourself out to a nice dinner, go see that play, book that flight! Treat yourself the way you’ve always wanted.
10. Daily Affirmations- Affirmations are positive statements about ourselves that we say out loud. These can be things we love about ourselves, or characteristics we are asking God to help us develop. If you need inspiration, be sure to check out our Instagram and Facebook pages as we post weekly Faitfirmation. We also send them out to our email list.